The Patient Escort provides safe, timely and patient-focused transportation of patients, lab specimens, and other items as assigned within the hospital, medical office buildings, and other areas.
Patient Escort Duties:
• Transports patients in stretchers, beds or wheelchairs to the test sites for testing and back to their rooms once the test is completed. Demonstrates knowledge of hospital systems and procedures, location of all departments, treatment areas and other patient services. Transports specimens to the lab, as required and transport patients to lobby areas upon discharges.
• Responds to simple patient requests, communicating more complex needs to the RN. Provides supportive customer service, functioning as part of the patient care team and demonstrating appropriate behavior in interactions with staff, patients and visitors.
• Uses germicidal wipes and disposable gloves to disinfect transport equipment prior to patient transport and at the completion of the assignment.
• Follows infection control guidelines and safety protocols when transporting patients and patient equipment.
• Transports, cleans, tags and returns to designated storage area: IV poles, monitors, wheelchairs, stretchers, pumps, scales, lift and other patient equipment as directed by supervisor
• Maintains neatness and organization of work and storage areas. Collects, disinfects and stores transport and patient equipment.
Senior Patient Escort
-under supervision they perform the more difficult patient escort duties typically involving critically ill patients,
-train Patient Escorts in correct patient-handling techniques;
-instruct Patient Escorts on correct procedures for responding to and making calls to the central dispatching unit;
-may make recommendations an the determination of priorities for patient escort services, and on the solution to problems involving service complaints;
-may assist in evaluating the performance of Patient Escorts.